MEDIAGIRLS Youth Advisory Board
What does the youth advisory board do?
Our YAB (Youth Advisory Board) is made up of graduates from our MEDIAGIRLS after-school program and older teen girls who are passionate about inspiring girls and improving the messages sent by media. Each month, we provide a specific mission that gives them practice in speaking up using social media. Interested? Read on!
I'm interested. How do these missions work?
- You will receive 9 missions over 9 months (one a month from Sept-May)
- You will receive your mission on the 5th of the month and it will be due back on the 13th of the month
- All of our missions involve speaking up for girls/women using social media (yours and/or ours) to spread your opinions.
- You will be expected to complete at least 8 out of the 9 missions. (Complete all nine and we'll send you a $25 gift card from Amazon!)
- All of the missions happen over email. (We'll text reminders!)
- Twice a year we meet up in the Boston area to connect in person and have fun.
Can you share some examples of missions? (Yep, here are three.)
- Nominate a #realmediagirl from a recent movie, and tell us why you picked her
- Tell us how you handle FOMO (fear of missing out) on social media
- Choose a song for our girl-power playlist and explain why
What qualities is MEDIAGIRLS looking for?
- are super reliable (this is a one-year commitment)
- enjoy writing and expressing you opinions. (Click on some missions above to see what we're expecting.)
- will use your own social media accounts (whether it's Insta, Snapchat, or another platform) for many of our missions.
- are in 6th - 12th grade, and living in Greater Boston area (within 40 minutes drive of Boston).
- are excited to be part of our movement of girls using the power of media for positive change!
I want to do this! How do I apply?
Give us some info about yourself and why you think you would be a good fit for our board. If we agree, based on your responses to our application (take your time with this), we will get back to you within seven days with more information. Thank you for your interest!
Please note that to serve on our Youth Advisory Board, we will need a parent to fill out the permission slip above.